History, Nature, Progress.. in Harmony.. in Rexton

Ship Building


 

Fourth generation Jardines, Robert and John (Old Jock), were the first Jardines to work as shipbuilders when they formed the firm of R & J Jardine in 1821. The brothers built seven ships in the Rexton area over a span of ten years. In 1831, Robert moved to Upper Canada, thus ending the brothers’ partnership. The separation was apparently pleasant due to the fact that in 1834, Old Jock named a newly built ship “John and Robert” in honor of his brother.

The Maple Leaf built by Sam Girvan circa 1911

The Maple Leaf built by Sam Girvan circa 1911

Old Jock Jardine and his nephews John and Thomas Jardine came to Canada from Scotland aboard “North Star” in 1816. With the help of his nephews, Old Jock built his first of 57 ships, “Ellen Douglas”, in 1819. In 1844 he moved to Liverpool, England where he created the firm of John Jardine and Son. He resided in Liverpool until his death in 1874.

 

 

Edward A Cohan, 1921

Edward A Cohan, 1921

John and Thomas Jardine followed in their uncle’s footsteps and created their own shipbuilding company here entitled J. & T. Jardine. The creation of this new company was due in part to disagreements between John and Thomas and their uncle Old Jock. J. & T. Jardine developed into a successful company that produced at least 19 ships between 1839 and 1884. All of these ships were built along the Richibucto River. One of their ships, “Intrepid”, brought many settlers to the Rexton area from Europe during the 1840’s.